The “church of the strangers” was established by Nova Scotian immigrants to Boston in the nineteenth century. They came here to work, and knew they couldn’t live without worship. Seeking to lift high the uniqueness of Christ and the doctrine of the trinity (Father, Son, and Spirit) in a place where Unitarianism was thriving, they drew strength from a rich spiritual heritage in the Presbyterian Church of Scotland.
Rev. Alexander Blaikie, D.D., a member of the Associate Reformed Synod of New York, came to Boston in May 1846. He helped the small group of Presbyterians to hire a small hall at 26 Washington Street, and they began worshiping. The services kept going and growing, as more and more people wanted a place in Boston to hear some “Scotch preaching.” Psalm-loving Presbyterians could comfort their hearts with “those strains, which once did sweet in Zion glide.”
In Sept. 1864, they bought a lot on the corner of Berkley and Chandler Streets, and on Feb. 6, 1870, a new building with a seating capacity of 500 was opened for worship. God has continued to bless and honor that generation’s vision to lift high the cross of Christ.